Tamil Cinema Celebrities Raising Voice Together For Perarivalan’s Release !!

Hashtag “Release Perarivalan” is trending on twitter a day ahead of Home minister Amit Shah’s Chennai visit on Saturday. Along with public, Tamil cinema celebrities including Vijay Sethupathi, Arya, Prakash Raj, Parthiban, Pa Ranjith and many others seeking the release of all seven convicts in the case.

Perarivalan was 19 when he was arrested in the year 1991. He was accused of having bought two battery cells for Sivarasan, the LTTE man who masterminded the conspiracy, and which were used in the bomb that killed Rajiv gandhi. Perarivalan was remained on death row for 23 years. On February 18, 2014, a Supreme court bench of Chief Justice and justices commuted the death sentences of Perarivalan and two other convicts, Murugan and Santhan, into imprisonment for life.

What strengthened Perarivalan’s claim of innocence was an admission in November 13 by V Thyagarajan, a retired CBI SP, that he had altered Perarivalan’s statement in custody to make it read like a confession, which eventually played a crucial role in getting Perarivalan the maximum punishment.

Image

Thyagarajan, who had recorded the statements of Perarivalan and other two accused in 1991, said that while Perarivalan had accepted that he had supplied the batteries, he had not said that he was aware that those batteries would be used to make the bomb. In 2018, When Rahul Gandhi, son of Rajiv Gandhi met director Pa.Ranjith, the Congress leader said that he has no objection in releasing Perarivalan. In Kuala Lumpur, Rahul said that he and his sister Priyanka Gandhi had “completely forgiven” their father’s killers.

The Supreme court, earlier in the month said that Governor is empowered by Article 161 to go ahead with deciding on Perarivalan’s Parole, without waiting for the findings of Multi disciplinary monitoring agency on a larger conspiracy. Actor Vijay Sethupathi, in a video he released, requested the Governor to heed to Supreme court’s recommendation and release the “innocent” Perarivalan.

Director Naveen kumar of “Moodar Koodam” stated that we who are worrying for the six months delay of Ilayathalapathy’s “Master”, should raise voice for the innocent. “I am also waiting for the release of the film as a fan. Now, We should raise voice for the innocent who lost his 30 years in jail. ” Naveen said in his tweet.

“30 years of Jail for a man who never committed the crime.. 30 years of Struggle of a Mother to get his Son back.. Request our @CMOTamilNadu & Governor to give Justice to them. Please Let the Mother & Son live a free Life atleast from now..” said director Karthik Subbaraj in his tweet.

Actor Arya posted a tweet requesting authorities to consider the struggle being faced by the mother of Perarivalan all these years.

“1000 culprits can escape, but, one innocent should not be punished”…. please join with us to stand in solidarity .. please share this” Prakah Raj posted tweet demanding the release of Perarivalan.

Director Pa. Ranjith of “Madras”, “Kaala”, “Kabali” has been constantly posting tweets seeking release of Perarivalan.

Apart from cinema celebrities, several political personalities also recommended the release of A. Perarivalan. The state government’s recommendation for their release under Article 161 has been pending with the Governor for over two years.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here