GREAT NEWS: 5 Indian Women Bagged Gold Medal In AIBA World Women’s Youth Boxing Championships
Nitu, Jyoti Gulia, Sakshi Choudhary, Shashi Chopra and Ankushita Boro – The five Indian girls who bagged gold medals each, , on the final day of the AIBA World Women’s Youth Boxing Championships in Guwahati on Sunday, making the whole nation proud.
- Nitu (48kg) who began the day successfully in her light flyweight bout against Kazakh Zhazira Urakbayeva. The Indian won 5-0 as she qualified for 2018 Youth Olympics.
- Flyweight boxer Jyoti Gulia (51 kg) unleashed a flurry of fierce punches, surprising her opponent Ekaterina Molchonova of Russia in a 5-0 triumph.
- Then, Ankushita (64 kg) demolished Russia’s Ekaterina Dynnik in a 5-0 victory in the light welterweight final.
- In the bantamweight final, Sakshi (54 kg)edged past Ivy-Jane Smith of England 3-2,
- While featherweight boxer Shashi (57 kg) floored Vietnam’s Nghc Do Hong 4-1.
“It was an easier final compared to the semifinals. I did not find it too tough to break through,” said Nitu, one of the four Haryana finalists at the event.
“This was the toughest bout of this tournament for me. It took a lot out of me,” said Sashi, who was in tears at the end of the contest.
It is notable that, Jyoti also qualified for next year’s Youth Olympic Games in Argentina courtesy her top finish and the fact that she was born after 1999. And Ankushitha was given the title “boxer of the tournament”
“You are seeing the probable Olympic medallists for India at the Tokyo Olympics here. It has been a fantastic performance and Guwahati has been a fabulous host,” Boxing Federation of India President Ajay Singh told PTI. He also announced a cash prize of Rs 2 lakh each for all the gold-medallists.