Last month, four Indian soldiers on foot patrol were killed by an avalanche in the Ladakh area of the Himalayan region.
Siachen Glacier is the world’s highest battlefield. Avalanches and landslides are common in the area during winter. Temperature here can drop as low as minus 60 degrees Celsius (140 degrees Fahrenheit).
In January, four soldiers were killed in an avalanche, while last year another four died when their vehicle got buried near Leh.
An estimated 8,000 troops have died on the glacier since 1984, almost all of them from avalanches, landslides, frostbite, altitude sickness or heart failure rather than combat.
Here is the list of the martyrs who lost their lives in the Siachen Avalanche:
(1) Subedar Nagesha TT r/o vill Tejur, Hassan Dist, Karnataka.
(2) Havildar Elumalai M r/o vill Dukkam Parai, Vellore Dist, Tamil Nadu.
(3) Lance Havildar S Kumar r/o vill Kumanan Thozhu, Teni Dist, Tamil Nadu.
(4) Lance Naik Sudheesh B r/o vill Monroethuruth, Kollam Dist, Kerala.
(5) Lance Naik Hanamanthappa Koppad r/o vill Betadur , Dharwad Dist, Karnataka.
(6) Sepoy Mahesha PN r/o vill HD Kote, Mysore Dist, Karnataka.
(7) Sepoy Ganesan G r/o village Chokkathevan Patti, Madurai Dist, Tamil Nadu.
(8) Sepoy Rama Moorthy N r/o vill Gudisatana Palli , Krishna Giri Dist, Tamil Nadu.
(9) Sep Mustaq Ahmed S r/o vill Parnapalle, Kurnool Dist, Andhra Pradesh.
(10) Sepoy Nursing Assistant Suryawanshi SV r/o village Maskarwadi, Satara Dist, Maharashtra